BossuTv Logo

Ebola Risk High Inside DR Congo No Pandemic Emergency WHO Says

Article arrow_drop_down

The World Health Organization has said that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo poses a high risk inside the country but does not represent a global pandemic emergency.

WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made this statement on Wednesday after meeting with the agency’s emergency committee. He confirmed that the outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern but said it does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency.

The outbreak is concentrated in eastern Ituri province of DR Congo. Health officials have recorded about 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths so far. Two suspected cases have also been reported in neighbouring Uganda.

WHO assesses the risk as high at the national and regional levels but low at the global level. The virus has likely been spreading for months before it was detected according to the health agency.

The current outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain of Ebola. This is a rare strain for which there are no approved drugs or vaccines available to treat or prevent it.

WHO has warned that the outbreak could become much larger than what is currently being detected and reported. The agency said there is significant risk of local and regional transmission especially to countries sharing borders with DR Congo.

The health agency is advising neighbouring countries to strengthen screening at borders and main internal roads. WHO does not recommend travel or trade restrictions as this could worsen the situation and harm the fight against the outbreak.

DR Congo accounts for nearly all confirmed cases while Uganda has reported two suspected cases across the border. Neighbouring countries are at high risk for further spread according to WHO statements.

About the author

trending_flat
Frank Edoho Denies Estranged Wife’s Claims Vows Legal Action

Veteran Nigerian television host Frank Edoho has denied serious allegations made by his estranged wife Sandra Onyenucheya and threatened to take legal action against her. The controversy erupted after a leaked audio recording surfaced on social media alleging an extramarital relationship between Onyenucheya and popular singer Chike. Edoho confirmed in May 2026 that his marriage to the entrepreneur had ended in separation in mid-2025 and that divorce proceedings were ongoing. In her explosive social media statement Onyenucheya denied certain allegations and made serious claims against the veteran TV host including infidelity emotional distress and financial exploitation during their marriage. However leaked audio conversations appear to confirm that she was indeed having an affair with Chike between 2020 and 2026 before her separation from Edoho. Edoho stated that the infidelity allegations were a major factor in the breakdown of their marriage. […]

trending_flat
Walk Away From Cheating Wife Yul Edochie Advises Men

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has advised married men that if they catch their wives cheating they should walk away from the marriage instead of harming them. The actor shared his views on Instagram saying there is no justification for killing another human being whether a man catches his wife with another person or a woman catches her husband with another woman. Edochie said marriage is not a do-or-do affair and people should learn to walk away if their marriage is not working. He shared that he saw a video of a woman who was burnt by her husband because of their troubled marriage and the sight broke his heart. The self acclaimed clergy emphasized that walking away is better than inflicting harm on a spouse who has been unfaithful. His advice was aimed at both men and women who face […]

trending_flat
Chelle Drafts 10 Uncapped Players for Eagles Summer Fixtures

Super Eagles head coach Eric Chelle has included 10 uncapped players in his preliminary squad for Nigeria's summer international fixtures. The 10 new players are part of a 55-man provisional list submitted to the Nigeria Football Federation. The coach is evaluating these talents ahead of the summer window and the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers. The uncapped players called up are Anthony Dennis from Goztepe Turkish side David Moses of Slavia Prague Czech Republic Chibuike Nwaiwu from Wolfsberger FC Austria Rafiu Durosinmi of Viktoria Plzen Czech Republic Dapo Afolayan from St Pauli Germany Ryan Alebiosu of Blackburn Rovers England Tochukwu Nnadi from Zulte Waregem Belgium Onuche Ogbelu of Esperance Tunisia Tebo Franklin from Crvena Zvezda Serbia and Ebenezer Harcourt of Sporting Lagos Nigeria. Chelle is blending experience with youthful talent in this selection. The coach has indicated plans to […]

trending_flat
Europa League Clubs with Most Trophies in History

Sevilla of Spain holds the record for the most UEFA Europa League titles in history with seven trophies making them the most successful club in the competition. The Spanish club has won the Europa League in 2006 2007 2014 2015 2016 2020 and 2023. Sevilla even won the tournament three times in a row from 2014 to 2016 and has never lost a Europa League final. Spanish teams have historically dominated the competition with 14 victories in total. Sevilla alone accounts for half of Spain's trophies. Four clubs share second place with three Europa League titles each Inter Milan from Italy Liverpool and Juventus from England and Italy respectively and Atletico Madrid from Spain. Inter Milan won in 1991 1994 and 1998 Liverpool won in 1973 1976 and 2001 Juventus won in 1977 1990 and 1993 while Atletico Madrid claimed […]

trending_flat
Iran World Cup Squad Players Start US Visa Process

Iran's national football team has taken steps to secure travel documents for the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States as less than a month remains before the tournament begins. At least four Iranian football players along with one member of their support staff visited the US embassy in Ankara Turkey on Thursday to submit visa applications for the World Cup according to an AFP correspondent. The team arrived at a training facility in Antalya Turkey on Monday to begin their final pre-tournament preparations for the World Cup which will be jointly hosted by the United States Mexico and Canada. The correspondent noted that four players wearing navy blue tracksuits and one staff member dressed in black entered the embassy in the morning. The players were also expected to attend similar visa appointments at the Canadian embassy since Canada […]

trending_flat
Trump Administration Indicts Cuba’s Raul Castro Over 1996 Shootdown

The United States has indicted former Cuban President Raul Castro over the 1996 downing of two civilian planes flown by the Miami based exile group Brothers to the Rescue near Cuba. The indictment was unsealed in Miami nearly 30 years after the incident and marks one of the sharpest escalations in tensions between Washington and Havana in recent years. US prosecutors say Raul Castro was serving as Cuba’s defence minister when Cuban fighter jets were ordered to intercept and shoot down the unarmed aircraft on February 24 1996 killing four Cuban American exiles. Castro now 94 faces charges including conspiracy to kill US nationals murder and destruction of aircraft along with five other Cuban military officials named as co defendants in the case. According to the US Department of Justice the planes were flying humanitarian missions for Brothers to the […]

Related

CHU Souro Sanou : le service social aide les patients démunis à accéder aux soins
trending_flat
CHU Souro Sanou : le service social aide les patients démunis à accéder aux soins

Au CHU Souro Sanou, le service social poursuit sa mission d’assistance aux patients en difficulté financière afin de garantir leur accès aux soins de santé. Le chef du service, Konané Amidou, a présenté les actions menées par son équipe lors d’une rencontre avec des journalistes le 19 mai 2026. Selon lui, le service social intervient principalement auprès des patients indigents confrontés à des difficultés pour payer les ordonnances, les examens médicaux ou les frais d’hospitalisation. « Le service social d’un hôpital est chargé d’identifier les indigents et de les accompagner afin qu’ils puissent également bénéficier des soins de santé », a expliqué M. Konané. Pour soutenir les cas les plus urgents, l’hôpital dispose de subventions destinées à la prise en charge sociale des malades. Les aides accordées varient selon la gravité des situations et les besoins médicaux des patients. Le […]

AGN Chair Calls for Urgent Climate Adaptation Action Across Africa
trending_flat
AGN Chair Calls for Urgent Climate Adaptation Action Across Africa

Chair of the African Group of Negotiators on Climate Change (AGN), Nana Dr. Antwi-Boasiako Amoah, has called for urgent and practical measures to strengthen climate adaptation efforts across Africa. He warned that millions of vulnerable people across the continent are already experiencing the devastating effects of climate change. Africa Cannot Afford Weak Adaptation Responses Delivering the opening statement remotely at the Pan African Coalition for Adaptation and Resilience Workshop 2026 in Athi River, Kenya, Dr. Amoah stressed that Africa must move beyond fragmented and underfunded responses. “For Africa, this process must move adaptation from recognition to implementation and from promises to measurable progress,” he stated. The three-day workshop, organised by Power Shift Africa, brought together researchers, civil society organisations, women’s groups, youth movements and climate experts ahead of upcoming global climate negotiations. Climate Change Already Affecting Millions According to Nana […]

trending_flat
West African Youth Under Pressure: Jobs, Security, And Voice

Across West Africa, many young people feel they did everything right but still cannot see a clear future. They go to school, learn skills, and hustle every day, yet they face joblessness, insecurity, and leaders who seem distant from their struggles. This experience is common in Nigeria, Ghana, and Togo, even though their political and economic situations are different. Data and recent events show that youth frustration is not just emotional, but grounded in real hardship and broken promises. Nigeria: hustling through crisis In Nigeria, many young people wake up every day thinking about how to survive, not just how to succeed. They combine formal education with informal work, like riding motorbikes, doing deliveries, or selling online, while facing a weak currency, high fuel prices, and constant security threats. Afrobarometer findings for 2024–2025 show that young Nigerians aged 18 to […]

trending_flat
South African police say search for kidnapped toddler continues

South African police say the search is still ongoing for a kidnapped two-year-old girl, insisting that rumours claiming her body has been found are false. The toddler, identified as Omphile Sethole, was allegedly abducted from her home in Ga-Mabuela Village near Mokopane in Limpopo in the early hours of May 2. According to police, Omphile was taken while she was sleeping in a bedroom at her grandmother’s house, and family members only realised she was missing when they woke up and found a window open. A missing person case was opened at the Tinmyne police station, and a large-scale search operation involving specialised units, local residents and community structures was immediately launched. Limpopo police spokespersons and the provincial commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe, have appealed to the public to stop spreading unverified information, including social media posts alleging that the […]

trending_flat
South African police say search for kidnapped toddler continues

South African police say the search is still ongoing for a kidnapped two-year-old girl, insisting that rumours claiming her body has been found are false. The toddler, identified as Omphile Sethole, was allegedly abducted from her home in Ga-Mabuela Village near Mokopane in Limpopo in the early hours of May 2. According to police, Omphile was taken while she was sleeping in a bedroom at her grandmother’s house, and family members only realised she was missing when they woke up and found a window open. A missing person case was opened at the Tinmyne police station, and a large-scale search operation involving specialised units, local residents and community structures was immediately launched. Limpopo police spokespersons and the provincial commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe, have appealed to the public to stop spreading unverified information, including social media posts alleging that the […]

trending_flat
81-year-old Museveni sworn in for seventh term as Uganda’s president

Uganda’s long-serving leader, President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, has been sworn in for a seventh term in office at a ceremony held in the capital, Kampala. The 81-year-old, who has ruled the East African country since 1986, took the oath of office at the Kololo Independence Ceremonial Grounds on Tuesday, extending his time in power to more than four decades. Museveni’s latest term follows his victory in the January 2026 general elections, where he was declared winner with about 71 percent of the vote by the electoral commission. The poll was marred by reports of violence, arrests of opposition supporters and an internet shutdown, drawing criticism from rights groups and international observers. The inauguration was attended by several African heads of state and foreign dignitaries, with Uganda’s government saying at least 35 leaders had been invited for the high-profile event. Officials […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation