BossuTv Logo

Deadly Russian Strikes Hit Kyiv Again

Article arrow_drop_down

At least eight people, including a 12-year-old girl, were killed in Kyiv after Russia launched one of its largest overnight drone and missile attacks on Ukraine since the beginning of the war in 2022.

Ukrainian emergency services said the victims were found under the rubble of a heavily damaged apartment building in the capital. Rescue teams are still searching for at least 20 people believed to be trapped beneath the debris.

Authorities confirmed that 45 people were injured in the strikes, including two children. Kyiv officials also declared Friday a day of mourning following the deadly attack.

According to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Russia fired more than 670 drones and 56 missiles across the country overnight.

The attacks reportedly targeted over 180 locations throughout Ukraine, including more than 50 residential buildings and several civilian facilities.

Zelensky said Russia had launched more than 1,560 drones against Ukrainian cities since Tuesday night, describing the latest assault as evidence that Moscow was not seeking an end to the war.

Following an emergency meeting with military and security officials, the Ukrainian leader stated that air defence systems intercepted around 93% of the drones and 73% of the missiles.

However, he admitted that defending against Russian ballistic missiles remains a major challenge for Ukraine.

Zelensky renewed calls for additional air defence support from allies, particularly more US-made Patriot missile systems capable of intercepting ballistic attacks.

The European Union strongly condemned the strikes, with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen accusing Russia of deliberately targeting civilians.

She announced that the EU was finalising a €6 billion support package focused on drones while also preparing tougher sanctions against Russia’s economy.

In Kyiv’s Darnytskyi district, rescue workers continued operations at a partially collapsed nine-storey apartment building.

Police confirmed that two men aged 21 and 30, along with an unidentified woman, were among those killed after the building’s entrance was destroyed.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the body of a 12-year-old girl was also recovered from nearby rubble.

Another victim later died in hospital after a petrol station came under attack during the strikes.

Ukraine’s Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said more than 1,500 rescuers and police officers had been deployed across the country following the attacks, with nearly 600 working in Kyiv alone.

Dozens of residents were rescued alive from the damaged apartment block, while emergency crews continued clearing debris and searching for missing people.

The strikes also damaged schools, residential buildings, veterinary clinics and parts of the city’s infrastructure, including sections of Kyiv’s water supply system.

Outside the destroyed buildings, shocked residents gathered under temporary tents provided by volunteers and local authorities.

One resident, Iryna Movchan, said she had recently returned to Ukraine after spending more than two years abroad.

“The entire building was shaking. It was terrifying,” she said while rescue teams searched nearby rubble.

The overnight attacks also affected several other regions across Ukraine. Zelensky said seven people were injured in the Kyiv region, 28 in the northeastern city of Kharkiv and two more in the Odesa region.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko called for urgent international assistance to strengthen the country’s air defence systems.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiha urged US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping to pressure Russia to end the war.

The attacks came only days after a three-day ceasefire brokered by the United States expired on Monday. Both Russia and Ukraine had accused each other of violating the temporary truce.

Russia resumed large-scale attacks shortly after the ceasefire ended. Ukrainian officials said major assaults on Tuesday and Wednesday had already killed several civilians before the latest bombardment.

In a separate development, a Kyiv court ordered 60 days of pretrial detention for Andriy Yermak, a former close adviser to Zelensky, in connection with a corruption investigation.

Ukraine’s anti-corruption agencies accuse Yermak of involvement in a money-laundering scheme linked to a luxury construction project near Kyiv valued at more than $10 million.

Yermak denied all allegations and described the accusations as politically motivated. He also said he planned to appeal the court’s decision.

About the author

About the author

Abubakar

More posts Follow

trending_flat
Le Togo renforce la gouvernance du secteur halieutique

Le Togo poursuit ses efforts pour moderniser son secteur halieutique avec l'ouverture, le 28 juillet 2026 à Lomé, d'un atelier national consacré à l'amélioration de la gouvernance de la pêche et de l'aquaculture. Pendant quatre jours, des représentants des administrations publiques, des professionnels du secteur et des partenaires techniques examinent les réformes nécessaires pour aligner la stratégie nationale sur le Cadre politique et de la stratégie de réforme de la pêche et de l'aquaculture (CPSR) de l'Union africaine. Organisée dans le cadre de la deuxième phase du projet FishGov2, avec le soutien financier de l'Union européenne (UE), cette rencontre vise à renforcer la gestion durable des ressources halieutiques et à accélérer le développement du secteur. Évaluer les politiques nationales Les participants analysent la conformité des politiques togolaises avec les orientations de l'Union africaine afin d'identifier les points forts, les insuffisances […]

trending_flat
Le Togo obtient un appui de la BAD pour l’industrie

Le Togo fait partie des cinq pays africains sélectionnés pour bénéficier d'un financement de 3,48 millions de dollars approuvé par le Fonds africain de développement (FAD), le guichet concessionnel du Groupe de la Banque africaine de développement (BAD). Ce financement profitera également au Cameroun, au Tchad, aux Comores et à Madagascar. Il vise à renforcer les politiques industrielles et commerciales de ces pays tout en accélérant la mise en œuvre de la Zone de libre-échange continentale africaine (ZLECAf). Le projet prévoit notamment la réalisation d'études sur l'Initiative pour le développement industriel accéléré de l'Afrique (AIDA). Il permettra aussi de renforcer les capacités des administrations publiques afin de concevoir des politiques basées sur des données fiables, tout en intégrant les enjeux liés au climat, à l'égalité des genres et au développement des petites et moyennes entreprises (PME). Selon la Banque africaine […]

trending_flat
Lomé accueille le Forum sur la protection des données

Lomé accueille depuis le 28 juillet 2026 la deuxième édition du Forum international sur la protection des données à caractère personnel, un rendez-vous qui réunit des experts, des régulateurs et des professionnels du numérique autour des défis liés à la protection des données dans un environnement numérique en pleine évolution. L'événement, qui s'achève le 29 juillet, rassemble des spécialistes de la cybersécurité, de la gouvernance des données et de la transformation numérique, ainsi que des représentants des secteurs public et privé venus du Togo et de plusieurs pays de la sous-région. Placée sous le thème « Sécuriser le capital confiance, maîtriser les risques », cette édition met l'accent sur les stratégies permettant de renforcer la confiance numérique tout en protégeant les informations personnelles des citoyens et des organisations. Les discussions portent notamment sur les évolutions des réglementations, les défis liés […]

trending_flat
Palakiyem Assih prend la tête du conseil de CDA

Le Togolais Palakiyem Assih a été nommé président du Conseil d'administration de Cyber Defense Africa (CDA), a annoncé l'entreprise le 28 juillet 2026. Cette nomination marque une nouvelle étape dans la carrière de ce spécialiste de la cybersécurité, impliqué dans le développement de l'entreprise depuis sa création en 2019. Avant d'accéder à cette fonction, Palakiyem Assih occupait le poste de directeur technique (Chief Technology Officer - CTO) de Cyber Defense Africa. Il dirigeait également le CERT.tg, le centre national chargé de la réponse aux incidents de cybersécurité au Togo. Au fil des années, il a joué un rôle important dans le renforcement des capacités du pays en matière de cybersécurité et dans le développement des activités techniques de l'entreprise. Le cofondateur et directeur général de Cyber Defense Africa, Simon Melchior, a salué cette nomination, estimant qu'elle récompense l'engagement, le professionnalisme […]

trending_flat
Togo : les projets Banque mondiale sous évaluation

Le gouvernement togolais souhaite améliorer la performance des projets réalisés avec le soutien de la Banque mondiale afin d'assurer un meilleur impact sur les populations. Le mardi 28 juillet 2026 à Lomé, les coordinateurs des projets du portefeuille Togo–Banque mondiale ont participé à une réunion d'évaluation présidée par la ministre, Secrétaire générale de la Présidence du Conseil, Sandra Johnson. Cette rencontre s'inscrit dans le cadre de la mise en œuvre de la feuille de route gouvernementale 2026-2031. L'objectif principal de cette revue était de comparer l'état d'avancement des projets et les niveaux de décaissement avec les résultats obtenus sur le terrain. Les autorités veulent désormais s'assurer que les investissements financés profitent réellement aux bénéficiaires et améliorent leurs conditions de vie. Premier partenaire technique et financier du Togo, la Banque mondiale intervient dans plusieurs secteurs clés, notamment les infrastructures, l'éducation, la […]

trending_flat
Sonam Wangchuk Extends Hunger Strike in India

Indian activist Sonam Wangchuk has entered the 26th day of his hunger strike, saying he has lost 11 kilograms but remains determined to continue until the government guarantees the safety of student protesters. Wangchuk, widely known as "Sonam Sir," has become the face of a nationwide movement led by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), which is demanding major education reforms and the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan over repeated examination paper leaks. The activist was removed from the protest site at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi on Saturday and admitted to Medanta Hospital in Gurugram, where he remains under medical care while continuing his fast. Hospital officials said Wangchuk is being treated by a multidisciplinary team and remains stable. They added that all medical care is being provided with his informed consent. Protests Continue Despite Police Crackdown Thousands of […]

Related

trending_flat
US hopeful Hormuz Strait deal will be done ‘today or tomorrow’ after ship hit

Washington is expressing optimism that talks involving Iran and Oman will soon restore safe passage for commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a chokepoint for global oil supplies. US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told CNBC there is “a chance we may have a deal today or tomorrow to open the strait and move towards a more normalized position in this conflict,” saying any agreement would ensure freedom of movement rather than allow Iran to charge tolls. His comments echoed President Donald Trump, who said progress in talks had led him to hold off on further military strikes while negotiators work on a framework to reopen the waterway. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US is “involved” in negotiations between Oman and Iran aimed at increasing safe traffic through the strait, noting that around 20 per cent of global […]

trending_flat
Iran denies negotiating with US after Trump announces talks

Tehran rejected Trump’s claim that talks were set to begin as part of efforts to end the conflict, saying no negotiations are currently taking place with Washington. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said the country is “not currently negotiating with the United States,” adding that Iran’s talks are instead with Oman over passage through the Strait of Hormuz. The denial came after Trump said he had postponed further strikes to allow diplomacy to continue and claimed new discussions would start Monday. The exchange came amid a war that Reuters described as being in its sixth month, with tensions also affecting oil markets after Trump’s remarks. Iran’s response suggests there is still a gap between Washington’s public claims and Tehran’s position on the status of talks.

trending_flat
US introduces $20,000 visa bond for Nigerians, others over overstay concerns

The United States says the new rule is aimed at curbing visa overstays and improving compliance among visitors from countries flagged for high overstay rates and weak identity or document verification systems. Under the policy, consular officers will decide whether an applicant must post a refundable bond of $10,000, $15,000 or $20,000, depending on factors such as travel purpose, employment, income and ties to the home country. The bond will be refunded without interest if the visitor leaves the US within the approved period and complies with visa conditions, but it will be forfeited if the holder overstays or violates the terms of the visa. The policy formalises and expands a pilot programme launched in August 2025, which the US State Department says showed a sharp drop in overstays among affected applicants. It also said the pilot reduced demand significantly, […]

trending_flat
Hamas agrees to disarm under Trump plan, but no word from Israel

The Palestinian Islamist movement says it accepts a ceasefire roadmap that includes handing over its weapons to a Palestinian governing committee and a staged Israeli pullout from Gaza, while Israel remains unconvinced the proposal meets its security demands. Hamas announced on Friday that it had agreed to a deal unveiled by President Trump, under which its weapons would be placed under the control of the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza (NCAG), a Palestinian body backed by Trump’s Board of Peace. The agreement is tied to a gradual withdrawal of Israeli forces and the deployment of an International Stabilization Force alongside a new Palestinian police force to secure the territory. A senior Israeli political source told AFP that the draft did not “satisfactorily” address Israel’s demand for full demilitarisation of Gaza, insisting on the “complete disarmament of Hamas, including […]

trending_flat
Thousands cross from Morocco into Spain in new migrant crisis

Thousands of migrants have crossed overnight from Morocco into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta, overwhelming local authorities and prompting Madrid to deploy troops to the border. A police source said on July 31 that it was impossible to give an exact total, but in recent days around 40,000 migrants have entered the territory, which has a population of about 80,000. At least 18 people have died while attempting the dangerous crossing, many drowning as they swam around the Tarajal beach breakwater or tried to breach coastal barriers. The sudden mass influx has triggered what security forces describe as “absolute chaos,” with men, women and children arriving by land and sea, discarding flotation rings and clothes as they stream into Ceuta. Local authorities have declared an emergency, warning that reception facilities are overwhelmed and that thousands of migrants, including unaccompanied […]

trending_flat
Thousands cross from Morocco into Spain in new migrant crisis

Thousands of migrants have crossed overnight from Morocco into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta, overwhelming local authorities and prompting Madrid to deploy troops to the border. A police source said on July 31 that it was impossible to give an exact total, but in recent days around 40,000 migrants have entered the territory, which has a population of about 80,000. At least 18 people have died while attempting the dangerous crossing, many drowning as they swam around the Tarajal beach breakwater or tried to breach coastal barriers.france24+2 The sudden mass influx has triggered what security forces describe as “absolute chaos,” with men, women and children arriving by land and sea, discarding flotation rings and clothes as they stream into Ceuta. Local authorities have declared an emergency, warning that reception facilities are overwhelmed and that thousands of migrants, including unaccompanied […]

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation