A powerful explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 90 people, with more miners still missing underground, according to international and local media reports citing Chinese authorities.
The blast, described as a suspected gas explosion, occurred late Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi City, Shanxi province, while 247 workers were underground. Initial updates said four workers had been confirmed dead and 90 trapped after carbon monoxide levels suddenly spiked in the tunnels.
As rescue operations continued through the night, the death toll climbed sharply, with state media later reporting that at least 82 to 90 miners had lost their lives and several others remained unaccounted for. Emergency teams have been battling toxic gas, collapsed galleries and fires as they try to reach remaining pockets of trapped workers.
Rescue officials said that 157 miners were brought to the surface in the first hours after the accident, including the initial fatalities, while dozens of those still underground were believed to be in critical condition. Specialised teams using gas detectors, drilling rigs and ventilation equipment have been deployed to stabilise air quality and open safe rescue routes.
Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered authorities to spare no effort in saving lives and preventing secondary disasters. He called for a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the explosion, strict accountability for safety lapses and immediate inspections of coal mines in the region to prevent a repeat of such a tragedy.
Premier Li Qiang urged transparent and timely information for families and the public, stressing the need to strengthen safety management, mine supervision and emergency preparedness in an industry that has long struggled with deadly accidents.
China’s coal sector has seen a reduction in fatal accidents over the past decade due to mine closures, consolidation and tougher regulations, but deadly incidents still occur, especially at older or poorly managed pits. The Liushenyu disaster is now among the worst coal mine accidents in recent years and has reignited debate over enforcement gaps and the risks of gas buildup and poor ventilation underground.
Be the first to leave a comment