Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to respond after accusing Ukraine of launching a deadly drone strike on a student dormitory in the occupied eastern Ukrainian region of Luhansk.
According to Russian authorities, the overnight attack targeted the town of Starobilsk and left six people dead while 39 others were injured. Officials also reported that at least 15 people remained missing following the strike.
Speaking during a reception at the Kremlin in Moscow, Putin rejected claims that the building was being used for military purposes. He stated that there were no military or intelligence facilities near the site and accused Ukraine of deliberately targeting civilians.
The Russian leader said the attack involved 16 drones launched in three separate waves. He also instructed the Russian military to prepare proposals for a possible retaliation.
Ukraine’s military confirmed carrying out a strike in Starobilsk but said the operation targeted the headquarters of Russia’s elite Rubicon drone unit. Kyiv did not clarify whether the military site was located inside the same building identified by Russia.
Ukrainian forces said the Rubicon unit had been involved in attacks against civilians and civilian infrastructure across Ukraine. Kyiv also insisted that its military operations comply with international humanitarian law.
Russian state television later showed footage of an injured student identified as 19-year-old Diana Shovkun, who reportedly suffered head injuries after concrete debris collapsed during the attack.
Meanwhile, Russian officials said two people were injured early Saturday after drone debris caused a fire at an oil depot in the Black Sea port city of Novorossiysk. Authorities reported damage to administrative buildings and fuel storage facilities.
Additional drone fragments were also said to have damaged residential homes in the nearby city of Anapa.
The latest escalation comes as both Russia and Ukraine continue to exchange accusations over attacks on civilian targets since the war began in 2022.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky recently claimed that Ukrainian forces had also struck a headquarters linked to Russia’s FSB security service in the occupied Kherson region, reportedly causing heavy casualties among Russian personnel.
Be the first to leave a comment