President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, just days after the Pentagon suspended a previously planned deployment of 4,000 soldiers to the country.
The announcement was made on Thursday through Trump’s Truth Social platform, where he linked the decision to the strong relationship between Washington and Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he openly supported during Poland’s presidential election campaign last year.
Trump did not specify whether the newly announced troops are part of the earlier deployment plan or represent a separate military operation. The move comes amid growing debate over the future of the US military presence in Europe under Trump’s “America First” policy.
Nato Secretary General Mark Rutte welcomed the decision ahead of a meeting of foreign ministers in Sweden, while also noting that Europe would continue efforts to become less dependent on US military support in the long term.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking before the Nato talks in Helsingborg, said Washington remained frustrated with some European allies, particularly over their response to recent US actions in the Middle East. However, he stressed that cooperation with allies such as Poland remained strong.
Rubio explained that the United States constantly reviews troop deployments worldwide to meet global security commitments and insisted that adjustments in Europe should not be viewed as punitive measures against Nato partners.
The latest announcement follows recent tensions between Trump and several European leaders. Earlier this month, Washington revealed plans to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany after disagreements between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz regarding the conflict involving Iran.
Although reports have circulated about a possible reduction in overall US troop commitments to Nato, Rubio said discussions on military posture and alliance responsibilities would continue during the summit.
Poland has remained one of the closest US allies in Europe and a strong supporter of increased Nato defence spending. President Nawrocki has repeatedly argued that Trump remains the only global leader capable of pressuring Russian President Vladimir Putin and helping bring an end to the war in Ukraine.
Despite Trump’s past criticism of Nato and calls for Europe to shoulder more defence responsibilities, Poland continues to view the United States as a key guarantor of European security.
Be the first to leave a comment