BossuTv Logo

ECOWAS Meeting FG Seeks Unified Action Against Border Crimes

Article arrow_drop_down

The Federal Government has called on member states of the Economic Community of West African States to take unified and decisive action against rising cross border crimes in the sub region. It warned that issues such as terrorism human trafficking arms smuggling and irregular migration no longer respect national boundaries and must be confronted collectively.

At a recent ECOWAS forum Nigerian representatives urged stronger cooperation on intelligence sharing joint patrols and coordinated law enforcement operations along shared borders. They stressed that insecurity in one country quickly spills into neighbouring states through porous frontiers and weak surveillance.

The Federal Government also highlighted the proliferation of small arms improvised explosive devices piracy and other transnational organised crimes in the Gulf of Guinea and across West Africa. It said these threats undermine economic growth disrupt trade routes and endanger millions of citizens in border communities.

Nigeria called on ECOWAS members to fully implement existing regional frameworks on security information exchange and border management. Officials said stronger political will adequate funding capacity building and community engagement are needed to make these agreements effective on the ground.

At the ECOWAS level leaders have repeatedly pledged to deepen cross border cooperation and adopt survivor centred approaches in tackling human trafficking sexual and gender based violence and violence against children. They reaffirmed commitments under Article 58 of the Revised ECOWAS Treaty and the ECOWAS Vision 2050 to safeguard peace and stability in the region.

President Bola Tinubu who currently plays a key role within ECOWAS has previously urged West African nations to mobilise citizens and security institutions against violent extremism and other cross border crimes. He described a united regional front as essential to stopping military coups terrorism organised crime and other forms of insecurity that threaten the sub region.

About the author

trending_flat
Caddytunes Releases New Hit Single ‘Ileke’

Nigerian music act Babatunde Raji, popularly known as Caddytunes, has released a new single titled Ileke, adding a fresh summer-ready record to his growing catalogue. Described as a light, catchy and playful tune, Ileke blends house, R&B and Afrobeats influences to create a feel-good sound built around flirtation, admiration and smooth rhythm. Caddytunes says the track is packed with love, vibes and rhythm in one sound and that he made it as a summer anthem for fans to enjoy at parties, on the beach and during road trips. The song, released on digital platforms on May 14, 2026, is available for streaming on Audiomack, Spotify, Boomplay and other major music services. Ileke follows earlier singles like Go Low, Opportunity and his 2025 EP My Music My Voice, confirming Caddytunes’ progression as a versatile artist exploring different sounds while staying rooted […]

trending_flat
Marital Malice Is No Excuse For Infidelity Actress Shan George

Veteran Nollywood actress Shan George has condemned infidelity saying marital malice should never be used as justification for a spouse to cheat on their partner. Speaking after the controversy surrounding Nigerian singer Chike's alleged affair with actor Sandra Edoho wife of TV host Frank Edoho Shan George said she will not support Sandra's actions. She maintained that if a woman is tired of her marriage it is understandable to quit but cheating because her husband kept malice is not acceptable. The actress said any man whose joy stick rises for another man's wife has committed an unacceptable act of adultery contrasting it with ignorance of the law which she said is not an excuse. Shan George warned husbands that if their wives have the mentality of cheating because they keep malice with them they should rethink their decisions before it […]

trending_flat
Marital Malice Is No Excuse For Infidelity Actress Shan George

Veteran Nollywood actress Shan George has condemned infidelity saying marital malice should never be used as justification for a spouse to cheat on their partner. Speaking after the controversy surrounding Nigerian singer Chike's alleged affair with actor Sandra Edoho wife of TV host Frank Edoho Shan George said she will not support Sandra's actions. She maintained that if a woman is tired of her marriage it is understandable to quit but cheating because her husband kept malice is not acceptable. The actress said any man whose joy stick rises for another man's wife has committed an unacceptable act of adultery contrasting it with ignorance of the law which she said is not an excuse. Shan George warned husbands that if their wives have the mentality of cheating because they keep malice with them they should rethink their decisions before it […]

trending_flat
Onyedika Lifts Belgian League Title with Club Brugge

Super Eagles midfielder Raphael Onyedika has won the Belgian Pro League title with Club Brugge, adding another major trophy to his growing career collection. The Belgian giants secured their 20th league championship after a tense 2-2 draw away to KV Mechelen on Thursday night, finishing ahead of closest rivals Royale Union Saint-Gilloise with one game still left to play in the season. Against Mechelen, Greek winger Christos Tzolis opened the scoring in the 16th minute before Nicolò Tresoldi doubled Club Brugge's lead shortly after half-time. Mechelen fought back late in the game and eventually forced a 2-2 draw after an 86th-minute own goal, but the single point was enough for Brugge to officially secure the league title. Onyedika, 25 years old, has now won six major trophies during his senior career. Four of those titles have come with Club Brugge […]

trending_flat
Unity Cup Chelle to Defend Trophy with Experimental Squad

Super Eagles head coach Eric Chelle has announced plans to defend the Unity Cup trophy with an experimental squad packed with debutants as he blends overseas talent and home-based players to refresh the national team. Chelle has named a 27-man squad for the Unity Cup tournament in London that includes 12 debutants, marking a significant overhaul of Nigeria's national team. The purpose is to test new faces and tactics ahead of more important competitive fixtures including the 2026 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers and World Cup qualifiers. The squad features seven home-based players from the Nigeria Premier Football League including defenders Ego Ogbu of Slavia Prague in Czech Republic, Obinna Igboke of Enugu Rangers, Eleazer Utchoubi of Rivers United and Chibuzo Okputa of Enugu Rangers. The midfield roster includes Samson Tijani of Dukla Prague in Czech Republic, Ayobami Junior of […]

trending_flat
35 Million Nigerians Risk Acute Hunger in Coming Months UN

Nearly 35 million Nigerians are at risk of acute hunger in the coming months as the United Nations warns of one of the worst food insecurity crises in the country's recent history. The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mohamed Malick Fall, disclosed this at the launch of the 2026 Nigeria Humanitarian Needs and Response Plan in Abuja stating approximately 35 million people may face food insecurity during the upcoming lean season. Among those at risk, an estimated 3 million children face life-threatening severe acute malnutrition, according to the most recent Cadre Harmonisé food security assessment that is equivalent to the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification for West and Central Africa. The hunger crisis is particularly severe in the North East where about 15,000 people in Borno State are projected to experience catastrophic hunger, classified as IPC Phase 5, […]

Related

trending_flat
Ebola Risk High Inside DR Congo No Pandemic Emergency WHO Says

The World Health Organization has said that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo poses a high risk inside the country but does not represent a global pandemic emergency. WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made this statement on Wednesday after meeting with the agency's emergency committee. He confirmed that the outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern but said it does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency. The outbreak is concentrated in eastern Ituri province of DR Congo. Health officials have recorded about 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths so far. Two suspected cases have also been reported in neighbouring Uganda. WHO assesses the risk as high at the national and regional levels but low at the global level. The virus has likely been spreading for months before it was detected according to […]

CHU Souro Sanou : le service social aide les patients démunis à accéder aux soins
trending_flat
CHU Souro Sanou : le service social aide les patients démunis à accéder aux soins

Au CHU Souro Sanou, le service social poursuit sa mission d’assistance aux patients en difficulté financière afin de garantir leur accès aux soins de santé. Le chef du service, Konané Amidou, a présenté les actions menées par son équipe lors d’une rencontre avec des journalistes le 19 mai 2026. Selon lui, le service social intervient principalement auprès des patients indigents confrontés à des difficultés pour payer les ordonnances, les examens médicaux ou les frais d’hospitalisation. « Le service social d’un hôpital est chargé d’identifier les indigents et de les accompagner afin qu’ils puissent également bénéficier des soins de santé », a expliqué M. Konané. Pour soutenir les cas les plus urgents, l’hôpital dispose de subventions destinées à la prise en charge sociale des malades. Les aides accordées varient selon la gravité des situations et les besoins médicaux des patients. Le […]

AGN Chair Calls for Urgent Climate Adaptation Action Across Africa
trending_flat
AGN Chair Calls for Urgent Climate Adaptation Action Across Africa

Chair of the African Group of Negotiators on Climate Change (AGN), Nana Dr. Antwi-Boasiako Amoah, has called for urgent and practical measures to strengthen climate adaptation efforts across Africa. He warned that millions of vulnerable people across the continent are already experiencing the devastating effects of climate change. Africa Cannot Afford Weak Adaptation Responses Delivering the opening statement remotely at the Pan African Coalition for Adaptation and Resilience Workshop 2026 in Athi River, Kenya, Dr. Amoah stressed that Africa must move beyond fragmented and underfunded responses. “For Africa, this process must move adaptation from recognition to implementation and from promises to measurable progress,” he stated. The three-day workshop, organised by Power Shift Africa, brought together researchers, civil society organisations, women’s groups, youth movements and climate experts ahead of upcoming global climate negotiations. Climate Change Already Affecting Millions According to Nana […]

trending_flat
West African Youth Under Pressure: Jobs, Security, And Voice

Across West Africa, many young people feel they did everything right but still cannot see a clear future. They go to school, learn skills, and hustle every day, yet they face joblessness, insecurity, and leaders who seem distant from their struggles. This experience is common in Nigeria, Ghana, and Togo, even though their political and economic situations are different. Data and recent events show that youth frustration is not just emotional, but grounded in real hardship and broken promises. Nigeria: hustling through crisis In Nigeria, many young people wake up every day thinking about how to survive, not just how to succeed. They combine formal education with informal work, like riding motorbikes, doing deliveries, or selling online, while facing a weak currency, high fuel prices, and constant security threats. Afrobarometer findings for 2024–2025 show that young Nigerians aged 18 to […]

trending_flat
South African police say search for kidnapped toddler continues

South African police say the search is still ongoing for a kidnapped two-year-old girl, insisting that rumours claiming her body has been found are false. The toddler, identified as Omphile Sethole, was allegedly abducted from her home in Ga-Mabuela Village near Mokopane in Limpopo in the early hours of May 2. According to police, Omphile was taken while she was sleeping in a bedroom at her grandmother’s house, and family members only realised she was missing when they woke up and found a window open. A missing person case was opened at the Tinmyne police station, and a large-scale search operation involving specialised units, local residents and community structures was immediately launched. Limpopo police spokespersons and the provincial commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe, have appealed to the public to stop spreading unverified information, including social media posts alleging that the […]

trending_flat
South African police say search for kidnapped toddler continues

South African police say the search is still ongoing for a kidnapped two-year-old girl, insisting that rumours claiming her body has been found are false. The toddler, identified as Omphile Sethole, was allegedly abducted from her home in Ga-Mabuela Village near Mokopane in Limpopo in the early hours of May 2. According to police, Omphile was taken while she was sleeping in a bedroom at her grandmother’s house, and family members only realised she was missing when they woke up and found a window open. A missing person case was opened at the Tinmyne police station, and a large-scale search operation involving specialised units, local residents and community structures was immediately launched. Limpopo police spokespersons and the provincial commissioner, Lieutenant General Thembi Hadebe, have appealed to the public to stop spreading unverified information, including social media posts alleging that the […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation